Victoria – North East Valleys – Seasonal Indulgence: Food and Wine Guide
Welcome to the Victoria's fabulous North East
By Sara Schwarz
Seasonal Indulgence Food and Wine Guide is an initiative of North East Valleys Victoria Food and Wine. It is a rare thing to be reviewing a regional brochure however having seen many over the years, this is one of the best we’ve come across.
Creating such a guide is no mean feat as Victoria’s North East Valleys covers a very large area and includes six quite different regions: the Alpine Valleys, Beechworth, Glenrowan, King Valley, Milawa Gourmet Region and Rutherglen.
What is it about this guide that appeals?
Firstly, the guide is a visually attractive and well thought out document. It is a handy A5 size with 72 pages jam-packed with all the food and wine information you could wish to know as a visitor to the region:
- The Seasonal Produce Calendar lets us know what is grown across the regions and what is in season during our visits.
- The Festivals and Events Calendar lets us know the highlights throughout the year, what’s on when and where.
- The list of Farmers’ Markets lets us know where best to meet the makers.
- The guide to Visitor Information Centres lets us know who to contact about all the other necessities for our trip.
- There is a handy fold-out map at the back covering the entire area and easy to follow maps for each region within.
Also, throughout the guide a number of evocative images and some whimsical artwork gives you a real ‘feel’ for the place.
Each region has its own dedicated section beginning with a straightforward map and a profile of one of the many fascinating ‘locals’ who have made these valleys their home. This is followed by some good introductory information on the many wineries, cheese factories, microbreweries and other producers you may wish to visit along the way.
If rich reds and elegant whites, hand crafted beers, preserves and cheese, fresh seasonal produce and award-winning regional dining experiences are your thing, then you'll love this guide to the North East Valleys.
This is one guide I truly enjoy browsing through and have blatantly left lying around the house, hinting to my ‘other half’ where our next holiday destination should be. The Valleys are calling…
Now in its fifth edition and reprinted every 12-18 months, Seasonal Indulgence Food and Wine Guide is available at no cost through the North East Valleys' website. Also it is available in all Tourist Information Centres across the regions. See related listings below.
- Alpine Valleys (VIC)
- Beechworth (VIC)
- Glenrowan (VIC)
- King Valley including Milawa (VIC)
- North East Victoria (VIC)
- Rutherglen (VIC)
To see our recommendations, ratings and reviews you must be a logged-in subscriber.
To subscribe please enter your email address in the "Subscribe Now - it's Free" box on the right and click the "Join" button, or fill in this form >